19 February 2018

The Daughter

Psychological Thriller
Women's Fiction

A 2018 Top Rated Read

By Lucy Dawson

Paperback 284 pages
Publisher Bookouture (22nd Jan 2018)
ASIN B076X5QJLX
ISBN-13 978-1786813305

‘Tense, twisty and all too close to home: Lucy Dawson is brilliant at spinning our worst nightmares from everyday scenarios.’ Erin Kelly author of He Said/She Said

📕My Review


Jessica lost her 5-year-old daughter Beth in a playground accident seventeen years earlier. She's never really come to terms with what happened despite moving on with life and starting a new family. But now her past has come back to haunt her. Someone's determined to make her suffer and Jess is convinced it's connected to events from all those years ago. When weird things begin to happen in her home, Jess realises someone is out to make her pay for past mistakes.

I thought The Daughter was an excellent psychological thriller. It had me so engrossed I really didn't want to put it down. There were plenty of wonderful twists and turns; just when I thought I had it all figured out, another spanner was thrown into the works - brilliant! Exactly the sort of book I love to read. Jessica's loss of her daughter was expressed beautifully and handled with great sensitivity. It was simply heartbreaking. 

What more can I say? An excellent plot with a spectacular ending. Buy the book, sit back and be prepared to be chilled and thrilled!

I received an Advance Reader Copy. My thanks to NetGalley, Lucy Dawson and Bookouture.

Barnsey's Books Rating 

📗The Blurb

You lost your daughter. You will never forgive yourself. And now someone's determined to make you pay…

Seventeen years ago, something happened to Jess’s daughter Beth. The memory of it still makes her blood run cold. Jess has tried everything to make peace with that day, and the part she played in what happened. It was only a brief moment of desire… but she’ll pay for it with a lifetime of guilt.

To distance herself from the mistakes of the past, Jess has moved away and started over with her family. But when terrifying things begin happening in her new home, seemingly connected to what happened to Beth, Jess knows that her past has finally caught up with her. Somebody feels Jess hasn’t paid enough, and is determined to make her suffer for the secrets she’s kept all these years.

📘The Author

I’ve been writing psychological suspense novels since 2008, when my first bestseller – His Other Lover – was published. I write full time (mostly on the playroom sofa) from my home in Devon, where I live with my husband and children. Before that, I used to interview the likes of Steps and SClub7 for a living, making absolutely no use whatsoever of my psychology degree from Warwick University, but it was a lot of fun. 

I'm addicted to writing about the extraordinary things that can happen to ordinary people - I like stories that jump in at the deep end, with a gasp. When readers take the time out to let me know they've stayed up all night because they couldn't put the book down, it makes my day. 

I really enjoy catching up with readers and always reply to emails. You can reach me at lucy@lucydawsonbooks.com. I’m also on Twitter @lucydawsonbooks and have a Facebook page at lucydawsonbooks. Alternatively you can download a free short story of mine at www.lucydawsonbooks.com or if you want to look at a lot of pictures of the beach and books that I'm reading, find me on Instagram at lucydawsonbooks.

Lucy Dawson's website

No comments: